Sunday, January 20, 2008

THUMB WARS

Before I had a baby, I swore that I would never have a kid who sucked their thumb. NEVER! I just didn't want to have to deal with it becoming addicting and having a thumbsucker in 4th grade. I thought, how hard could it be to just get your kid to stop sucking their thumb and put a pacifier in their mouth. I am finding out that it is harder than I thought, and now I don't judge those thumbsucking kids' parents. I've tried it all, I've put mittens on her hands which just get slobbered on, I've tried holding the pacifier in her mouth, which she just spits out and screams, I try to pull it out when I can be she has it back in her mouth faster than you can blink. It's really hard, and I'm still working on it. But I'm afraid there is no hope.



This is how I find Brystal most of the time while she is napping.



She mostly likes to suck her thumb when she is tired, or a little cranky. (which can sometimes be a blessing when you can't run and put a binky in her mouth or pick her up every 5 minutes)



Naptime pose.


Here she is trying to get in both thumbs. It's official, this girl likes her thumbs, and nobody is stopping her.



But how could you not just love this little thing. She is so adorable when she sucks her thumb, but hopefully she'll grow out of it soon because it won't be so cute when she's 10.



Here are the sound effects that go with it.

8 comments:

Madison Grunig said...

She is too cute! Hopefully the thumb sucking doesn't last for years and years, but be glad for now it comforts her. When our little guy was brand new we tried and tried to get him to take a binky and he never would, but he never sucked his thumbs or his fingers either so when he was cranky, he was just cranky til he fell asleep or got what he needed.

Andi said...

I'm sorry but we think the thumb sucking is sooo cute. I mean really, it's so convenient. You don't have to worry about finding a binki when she's desperate to suck on something. :) We can't wait to see you guys. We will see you on Feb. 3rd for sure! Kace, if you have some extra time we should meet half way and do lunch!

Dani said...

Oh she's too cute with her little thumb in her mouth! Addie sucks her thumb but only when she has her blanket in her hand, it's actually not even sucking, she just kind of chomps on it! I think it's just something little kids do! Don't worry too much about it until she's like 10!

Missy W. said...

the sound effects are the BEST.

Doug and Marilyn said...

That really is cute! I can see your frustration though. Loved the sound effects...what a little doll! Good luck with the trip and have a blast.

Dust + Hil said...

So you are right. The second thumb sucking picture she totally looks like Nate. I love the sound effects!

Jake & Becca said...

I have to tell you from an orthodontic point of view that you really don't have to fight it until they start getting their permanent teeth in. I work for an Orthodontist so I asked him cause Lyndi does it too (she will only take her left thumb and she has to hold onto some hair while she does)anywho he said enjoy it cause it makes for a content baby. Once they start school and realize it isn't cool usually you can help THEM decide its time to give it up. I have some literature we give patients if you ever want it. She's a cutie!!

Chelsea said...

alright...WAY too cute to even try to stop her! I used to try to make my kids because they would lose their binkies all night long:) What a cute baby you have!!!